A lower back exercise is typically performed with the aim of strengthening the lower back muscles to help prevent injury and strengthen the core muscles. The following exercises for the lower back are to be performed at least three times a day. As the strength of your back muscles improve you can then progress by slowly increasing the repetitions and frequency of the lower back strengthening exercises to avoid causing or increasing any pain.
Transversus Abdominus Retraining
• Pull your belly button slowly away from the belt line and then breathe normally. Ensure your rib cage is relaxed and not elevated during this process.
• Press 2cm in deeply from bony process in front of the pelvis.
• Practice to hold the muscle at a third of the maximum contraction for sometime daily provided there is no pain.
• Repeat the back exercise 3 times in a day.
Opposite Leg Arm Raises
• Start the exercise while lying with your stomach on the floor and your
arms over your head.
• Keeping your elbow and knee straight, gradually lift the opposite leg and arm while tightening your bottom and lower back muscles.
• Hold for about 2 seconds and return back to the starting point.
• Repeat the same process using the other leg and arm.
• Perform at least 10 repetitions on each side as long as it is not painful.
The following are the best intermediate lower back exercises for lower back pain must be typically performed at least 1-3 times in a week as long as one does not feel any pain or they do not increase the pain. Ideally, they must be done on consecutive days, in order to allow recovery of the muscle. When your lower back muscle strength improves, you can advance by slowly increasing the sets number, repetitions or the period of the exercises as long as they do not increase or cause any pain.
• Start this exercise supported on your toes and elbows while your back is in a straight position.
• Remain in this position for sometime provided it is not painful and the posture you are maintaining is good.
• Repeat the exercise 3 times.
• Start this exercise with your stomach on the floor and your arms over your head.
• While keeping your elbows and knees straight, gradually lift both legs and arms as you tighten your bottom and lower back muscles at the same time.
• Hold for about two seconds then gradually return back to the starting point.
• Perform 3 sets each of 10 repetitions as long as the exercise is not painful.
• Start this exercise supported on one foot and elbow while your back is in a straight position.
• Hold the position for sometime provided the exercise is not painful and the posture you are maintaining is good.
• Repeat the exercise on each side for at least 3 times.
Resistance Band Rotation
• Start the exercise while standing or kneeling with your back in a straight position, while you hold a resistance band.
• Gradually allow your body to rotate while you maintain your back and arms in a straight position.
• Perform three sets of at least 10 repetitions provided it is pain free.